Letter from Seachem..

First of all, you would never know that such drama ever took place.  Nikki and Helen are seemingly fine as ever!  Their eyes have shown no lasting effects of the terrible blindness that occurred and look absolutely perfect.

The PH level is holding nicely now, the ammonia level is under control (with daily/every other day water changes)  I am currently taking out approximately 40% every water change and it’s hopefully helping keep everything under control.  I wasn’t doing enough even though I thought I was doing the 20% every other day/3 days.  I purchased another bucket and it makes it much less of a job to do and everything is back up and running in a flash.

I continue to use Prime, just with caution.  I do believe the excess usage caused the drop in PH which then caused the terrible thick cloud to form over my goldfish’s eyes.  I will continue to think that way until I have a better explanation.  However thankfully I didn’t lose my sweet pair and they continue to be a joy to keep they are active and feeding well and beautifully brightly coloured.  

Which I should also mention the aquarium is still crystal clear so hopefully that will remain that way now, it makes such a difference for viewing them.

Anyway, I am happy with the way things are progressing here is a picture of the PH today and the letter from Seachem follows x  (On a side note, Seachem got back to me that same day, very good customer service)

DSC_2595.JPG

Seachem Support 10**5 (Seachem Laboratories)

Jan 24, 18:17 AST

Hello Tasha,

Thank you for your email.

Prime, like all conditioners, is a reducing agent. It works by donating electrons to molecules within the water solution, breaking up chloramine and chlorine into nontoxic chloride ions and binding up any toxic ammonia and nitrite into nontoxic forms. A mild overdose (say, 4x the recommended amount) is relatively safe – there is usually plenty of compounds floating around in your water for Prime to harmlessly react with. In fact, we recommend this higher dose when your tank has high levels of ammonia or nitrite. A large overdose or an overdose in exceptionally soft and organics-free water on the other hand, does have the potential to lower the overall availability of oxygen, as the Prime run out of molecules to react with and starts to react with the O2 instead. Dealing with this kind of overdose is typically just a matter of adding a bubbler, turning your filter to ensure it is breaking surface tension, or carrying out a water change.

While gasping at the surface is a sign of oxygen deprivation in the tank, it is not the only sign. Fish will initially react to lower oxygen levels by simply moving around less. Once the oxygen levels begin to drop further, then they will begin to show labored breathing, rapid gill movements. Oftentimes, they will also stay close to where the water flows back into the tank as well as near areas of high water flow. Finally, they will begin to gasp for air at the surface, which by this time the oxygen levels in the tank are quite low and they are quite deprived of oxygen.

Cloudy eye is a bacterial infection that does not show up on it’s own but alongside other parasitic or bacterial infections. The clouding of the eyes can also be a sign of poor water quality. I would recommend that you also dose your tank with Stability to restore your biological filtration that may have been affected by the overdose of Prime. This will easily address one of the main contributors to cloudy eye infections.

The only time we have seen an impact on pH from using Prime was using a massive overdose of Prime in a tank already low in oxygen (much more than 5x). Even in this case, the dip in pH was temporary and returned to the usual pH within a few hours. Under most circumstances, a dip in pH will be due to other factors, as the combination of factors which will cause Prime to lower the pH are exceptionally rare.

Hope this information helps.
Thank you,

Seachem Support 10**5

Tasha Tasha

Jan 24, 14:02 AST

Name: Tasha
Email address:
Message: Hi, I was wondering if you would be able to tell me what I did to my fish by using too much Prime and answer what component did this to them in the Prime… I basically massively overdosed my tank with Prime it was me that did it not the product… However this is what happened first of all my fish became listless and resting on the bottom of the tank, no they did not gasp for air.. my tank still had an ammonia reading of .50ppm to 1ppm after I had overdosed it. Then they seemed to pep up a bit after I left it for a bit, the next day I did a water change and again put too much Prime in this time the fish remained active but their eyes clouded over in one’s case completely and it looked like they had white bobbles on their eyes… At this time I googled how their eyes can become cloudy and it said a drastic drop in PH can make this happen.. Now the only thing I had done differently was to overdose on Prime.. However I read just now that Prime does not effect PH because it is non acidic.. would that still be the case if I put almost 1/4 of a bottle into a 36 gallon tank? Or could this actually impact the PH. I say this because after I read this I immediately did a massive water change and didn’t add Prime I used a regular water conditioner it was very late and I went to bed hoping for the best… This morning I got up to clear eyed fish which led me to believe it was indeed the PH.. Or it could have been ??? in the excess Prime that caused the white thick film over their eyes… I was wondering if you could write me back what the ??? may be. I have learned a lesson and I am an idiot for using so much Prime but I just wanted to get rid of the ammonia and kept testing kept adding kept testing and I hadn’t even really kept count on how many cap fulls I ended up putting in and yes I almost killed and or blinded my fish!!! Thank you for reading Tasha

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s